Monday, November 05, 2007

National Cinnamon Bun Day

I just learned from my mother-in-law that Sweden celebrated National Cinnamon Bun Day on October 4. "This new tradition is just eight years old, and has become a major celebration in the country". No wonder, according to Wikipedia, Cinnamon Rolls were invented in Sweden. I married into the right family, I tell you!

I found a lovely (and possibly authentic) cinnamon bun recipe here. And This Day in History blog claims that riots broke out in 1999 when cinnamon prices rose. Not sure if I believe that one.

You'll be pleased to know that Clemson University includes it on their calendar (although I wasn't able to find the University of MN calendar, so I don't know if that bastion of Scandinavian-ness includes it!). We do have an American National Cinnamon Raisin Bread Day (9/16), but we haven't adopted this fabulous holiday (which is celebrated in Finland and Switzerland, too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes - that is definitely an authentic recipe - it calls for cardamom!

And you are correct. Swedes do not riot. They sit calmly, complaining quietly.

The University of Minnesota, founded by Scandinavian and German immigrants, is a serious institution of higher learning. We do not engage in hijinks like those Clemson Tigers.

MIL