Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Hunting Mishaps

A cursory search of any news website has been topped by the news that Cheney shot a fellow hunter in the face while hunting quail. Now, accidents do happen, hunting (even the sort where they drive you to the location they loosed farm-raised birds) is a dangerous sport. This actually a fairly common accident, as hunting accidents go -- in the heat of the moment, following a flying bird out of the 'safe arc' and turning to face your hunting companions in the process.

But the stories I've been seeing have an alarming tendency to actually blame the victim for "walking into the line of fire", or that he should have "known better" by being so close.

No. A primary rule of hunting: know where everyone is. If you don't know where everyone is, don't fire. In accidents such as these, it is absolutely, completely the fault of the shooter. It is his responsibility to know where his fellow hunters are and if he shoots one, he's negligent and careless.

I'm waiting for Cheney to step up and take responsbility. All he has to do is say, "Well, shit. I'm really sorry. I got caught up in the moment and I wasn't paying attention and I shot him. I never should have turned like I did. It was stupid and I should have been more careful."

I have a feeling I'll be waiting for a while.

No comments: