Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Falwell

Dr. Jerry Falwell died yesterday. I'd like to be a better person and feel badly about this (and indeed, I feel great sympahty for his family and for their loss) -- but I found him to be a hateful, narrow-minded, bigoted, and hypocritical man. Most certainly, he was not representative of good Christian people that I know. He had a huge impact on evangelical christianity in the United States, there is no doubt of that, but you'd have to do a lot of explaining to make it a positive one, in my eyes.

And so I hope that the afterlife that he believed in is exactly what it should be for a false and arrogant prophet.
21 "Not everyone who says to me, "Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father in heaven. 22 On that day many will say to me, "Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many deeds of power in your name?' 23 Then I will declare to them, "I never knew you; go away from me, you evildoers.' (Matthew 7:21-23)

No comments: