Saturday, June 14, 2008

Bonk!

I've been getting a bunch of books lately based on recommendations from my Online Invisible Friends -- they're a widely-read bunch with some rather interesting choices.

On their recommendation, I picked up Bonk, by Mary Roach - "the curious coupling of science and sex" -- basically, a history of sex research. It's an absolute hoot. Her style is breezy and irreverent, and I actually laughed out loud a couple of times while reading. She is also the author of Stiff and Spook - studies of cadavers and life-after-death, in the same style.

It's worth it to just read the footnotes -- I kept interrupting the Adorable Husband (reading his own book) to read the footnotes out loud. I think my favorite thing in Bonk is the footnote which warns that "if you know what is good for you, you will not do a Google search on the words 'scrotum' and 'elephantiasis'."

Well, that, and the researcher who dresses mice up in polyester pants.

No comments: