Sunday, January 31, 2010

I'm a boomerang

While I feel better that I'm not the only one with this problem, it is quite obvious that I cannot walk in a straight line. I list to the left, and if I don't pay attention, I'm sure I'd walk in an enormous circle and end up back where I started (a risk if you're walking in the desert, for example).

How do I know this? Walking on the treadmill is way harder than it looks! You're not supposed to hang on, and I find myself edging towards the left side of the belt if I'm not very careful.

I can see a rather spectacular crash in my future -- I'll be like those funny commercials of people shooting off the back end of the treadmill into the wall, I just know it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have the same problem. I find it helpful when I lose my keys.

-YS

laurafingerson said...

GOOD for you for being on the treadmill!!! Post your progress!! We want to cheer!!

And *totally* about the inclement weather keeping you indoors. In the summer? I can handle running in the rain. Winter? No way - I am indoors the whole time. The sheets of ice and freezing windchill are not that hospitable to outdoor fitness.

Anonymous said...

What kind of shoes are you wearing? I'm more likely to walk a straight line if I have good support for my arches...

I even use extra orthotics in my New Balance walking shoes.

Cheers to you from snowy Minnesota!

MIL

Phouka said...

I find that I actually walk better when barefoot...hm. My shoes must be the culprit. New studies say that people should walk/run barefoot as it means you don't come down on your heels are hard as when you are wearing shoes.