Sunday, February 12, 2006

Nutella

I just heard in passing that there is more Nutella sold worldwide than peanut butter (from Wikipedia). Nutella -- a hazelnut-chocolatey sort of thing -- is the primary "spread" in Europe (and having had peanut butter in Europe, I can see why people have switched!).

It's not that popular here. I really like hazelnut stuff, but Nutella is too..."plasticky" tasting to me. And I can't quite think of things that taste like dessert topping as nutritious. Nutella does have more sugar, but it has much less fat than peanut butter.

I suppose either one is better than Vegemite or Marmite, both of which I've had the misfortune to encounter. I worked with a woman who loved Marmite and ate it by the jarfull. The yeasty weird smell of the stuff reminds me of bad sweat socks.

No comments: